Gastric Balloon Mexico
What is a Gastric Balloon procedure in Mexico?
The gastric balloon procedure in Mexico has become a popular alternative to bariatric surgery such as lap-band and gastric sleeve surgery. It is a non-invasive procedure which does not require general anesthetic or an overnight stay at a hospital. The Gastric Balloon is a soft, flexible silicone balloon which can be filled with a saline solution or air.
This inflated balloon reduces the capacity of the stomach and causes feelings of fullness early on whilst eating, resulting in the consumption of smaller portions of food which will lead to weight loss. This balloon remains in the stomach for a maximum of 6 months. The most popular type of balloon is the Bio Enterics Intragastric Balloon which is widely used by clinics and hospitals everywhere. It is removed via a reverse procedure: the balloon is deflated and then drawn up through the endoscope.
How does it work?
The gastric balloon is placed in the patient’s stomach in a deflated state via an endoscopic tube and inflated with an external catheter. As soon as the gastric balloon is filled, the surgeon will remove the catheter and sealing the balloon. It will take up space within the stomach which restricts the amount of food that can be eaten.
Since the gastric balloon slows down the time it takes to digest food, even a small amount of food will suppress the feeling of being hungry. The presence of the gastric balloon sends a message to the brain to register that the the stomach is full. The entire procedure takes about 20 to 30 minutes and does not require an extended hospital stay. In most cases the patient will be able to leave after 2 or 3 hours.
Who is suitable for a gastric balloon procedure in Mexico?
Gastric balloons are ideal for people who have tried to lose weight through dieting and exercise, but have failed to achieve their desired weight loss target and would like to avoid future weight gain. What’s more, gastric balloons are suitable for people with a BMI of over 25, while gastric bands and gastric bypass surgery are only suitable for people with a BMI in excess of 35.
Gastric Balloon Procedure Benefits
A recently published study on patients who underwent a gastric balloon procedure in Mexico showed an average weight loss of 35-40% It can also improve any obesity-related conditions such as sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, stroke, Type 2 diabetes and arthritis. As an additional benefit can be seen that there is no need to take a daily nutritional supplement.
- Fully reversible: stomach returns to normal when gastric balloon is removed.
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach.
- No overnight stay in hospital and can usually go home an hour after. No recovery involved. Although it may take some time to adjust you should be able to resume normal life right away.
- No malabsorption issues (because no intestines are bypassed)
- Fewer threatening complications
What to expect from the surgeon
Be prepared to supply information on and/or discuss:
- Your expectations of the intervention
- Any medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Any previous bariatric surgery
- Any family history that may be relevant such as hereditary characteristics of body frame, instances of obesity, and so on
During the consultation, your surgeon is likely to:
- Assess your general health
- Evaluate any health conditions
- Discuss the likely results of your gastric balloon procedure
- Discuss any risk or complications possible
- Take photographs for medical records
- Talk about the type of anesthetic used, its effects etc
You may be asked in preparation for surgery to:
- Take or stop certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Refrain from eating, and reduce liquids, for a period prior to the procedure
- Have certain lab tests or further medical evaluation
- Refrain from smoking in advance of surgery
- Contact us today
- Receive free quote within 24 hours
- You decide
- Surgeon will review your records
- We help arranging logistics
- Medical Treatment
- Return home